MARCH 2018 PARENT COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Condor School Council Meeting

March 13, 2018

Call to order: 6:30

In Attendance: Tara LaBas, Cheryl Kalev, Sara St. Marie, Dana Dickson, Alanna Hoeksma, Sara Hay, Kyla Foster, Chad Judd, Melissa Pittendreigh, Nicole Dawson, Danielle Peterson, Stacie Lee, Tessa Rancier, Gary Thompson

Approval of last minutes- add Stacie Lee to attendance

                                                Approved by Tara LaBas, 2nd Sara Hay

Principal’s report:

▪Thank you to school council for treats for our Olympic Day celebration. I attended the Rural Education Symposium last week and it was very eye-opening for me that the funding formula being used by Alberta Education is resulting in most rural school divisions facing never seen cutbacks to their bottom line.

                The funding formula is working well for very large school divisions

                We are not unique and alone in the fight with funding (difficulty across the province)

                Make deficiencies public with a strong public voice

▪Teacher’s professional development continues to focus on how to plan student learning that increases student engagement and academic improvement. Our focus is on using research-based instruction strategies such as small group instruction and increased hands-on activities. PD days continue to share a lot of best practice

▪We continue to focus on the importance of character development through our Trait of the Month Program. Traits such as kindness, teamwork, perseverance and problem-solving have been addressed. Any parent input into traits they’d like us to consider? (Integrity)

 

Teacher’s report:

▪Archery is finishing up (tourney Friday)

▪Michael Mitchell performance was enjoyed by all

▪Michael & Geraldine Kusugak are coming to the Learning Commons to do Inuit presentations/artifacts on April 11 (gr1-7)

▪Theresa Buck (Kangoo Classes) will be coming April 12/13 for phys ed classes (gr 1-7).  Also, is offering a 6-week program for kids on Tuesday nights after school (3:30-4:30) beginning on April 24

▪grades 2 and 3 went to Canyon

                ▪grades 4-7 went to Nakiska

▪The entire school went to the Wizard of Oz musical in Red Deer

▪Girl's Basketball team won the divisional tournament. 

▪Badminton has started Carol O'Brien and Kelsey Paul are coaching

▪Winter Olympics was a huge success

▪FMNI - presentation on March 22 for all grades  

 

Trustee’s report:

▪Rural funding: 8 different Ministers of Education since Gary has been in, he believes they are now understanding the inequality of the funding formula

▪All rural areas are suffering and needing to make the same challenging decisions

▪Revisions made to the following policies:

                Policy 1- Foundation Statements

                Policy 20- Welcoming, Caring, Respectful and Safe Learning and Working Environments

                Both are online and welcoming comments until March 20th

▪DT Modernization

▪Signed memorandum of Agreement with ATA

▪3 schools were approved for overseas trips

▪2018/2019 calendar approved

▪Secretary Treasurer has given resignation for the end of May

▪Campaign in next couple of weeks for 1 school budget division

                Primary goal is getting 1 funding division for the province so all schools are funded appropriately (eliminates overhead)

                Information with be on the PBSA website

▪Umbrella meeting Tuesday April 24, 2018 at West Center HS in RMH

                Would babysitting be helpful at these meetings? (yes)

                Suggested that the budget that is presented exactly as it will be used, rather than “dumbing it down”

                If there are topics to be discussed, please bring them forward

▪Evergreen (new school in Drayton Valley) was slated to open Sept 2019, now pushed to 2020 with no date

 

Old Business:

                ▪Spring presenter booked- $997.50- Sheldon Casavant Magician

                                Bring up PAC funding this at next meeting

New Business:

                ▪Corridor Value Management Meeting

  1. What are the concerns?
  2. Functionality considerations
  3. Programming requirements
  4. Parent expectations to make this idea work in going from 3 down to 2 schools

-no certainty that this is happening, not ready for community input yet

-March 20/21 meeting- want community member there- 1 parent from each school

-School council will have opportunity to come forward once progress is moved to the next stage

-Amber Misner (representative) should be at school council meetings to hear proper concerns

-What are the hallways going to look like?

(current specs are narrower that what we currently have. The width will not be increased)

-If Condor becomes elementary- what happens to playground space?; Gymnasium space?; Parking- safe parking?; busses; pedestrian safety; HS track and field field- community run?; playschool; amalgamate parent council?; Class sizes; change rooms; functional spectator space; separate spaces for volunteers with kids

▪Send emails to Cheryl with ideas for this

▪Cities get underbuilt- will these be built for growth?

▪Programming for students that will draw students to the area- maybe get kids back from Catholic

 

 

Adjourned at 7:23pm

MARCH, 2018 PARENT ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Parent Advisory Council Meeting

March 13, 2018

 

Call to Order: 7:24

Attendance: Tara LaBas, Cheryl Kalev, Sara St. Marie, Dana Dickson, Alanna Hoeksma, Sara Hay, Kyla Foster, Chad Judd, Melissa Pittendreigh, Nicole Dawson, Danielle Peterson, Stacie Lee, Tessa Rancier

Approval of Minutes: Add Stacie Lee to January attendance

                                Approved by Chad Judd, 2nd Stacie Lee

Treasurer’s report:

                ▪ Accounts: General- $9149.20; Bingo- $4324.13; Casino- $137.68

▪ Remove request to pay $2137.68 for casino advisor & food from general account until casino money comes through- cheque came

Fundraising report:

                ▪ 4 people needed for Bingo March 28, 1 for May 23 (last bingo of the school year)

                ▪Cheryl will send out a Remind/put up poster

Hot lunch:

                                ▪ Taco in a bag profit- slightly <$400

▪hot chocolate day went well- enough left over for another day (Roxanne donated all the cookies)

                                ▪April will be Booster Juice lunch combos

 

New Business:

▪ School is looking for support to buy 10 Chromebooks at $280 each (carry over until after Casino money has come in)

▪Track meet date May 17- concession? (yes)

▪Camp Goldeye cost is $183 pp without bus (additional cost of $520 total) and would need to be completely self funded

                See if a teacher can be found to attend on volunteer time

                Adjourn until May PAC meeting

                                ▪Magician cost is $997.50 for performance June 27 (kindergarten is invited)

                                                Motion to pay full amount by Alanna Hoeksma, 2nd Sara Hay

 

Adjourned at 7:51

JANUARY 2018 CONDOR SCHOOL COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Condor School Council Meeting

January 16, 2018

Call to order: 6:31

Welcome all new and returning parents

In Attendance: Cheryl Kalev, Sara Hay, Sandra Frid, Tessa Rancier, Ashley McKenzie, Chad Judd, Alanna Hoeksma, Tara LaBas, Liz Lozo, Gary Thompson

Last meeting minutes approved by Sandra Frid, 2nd by Stacie Lee

Principal’s report:

                ▪Year is flying by and going remarkably smooth

                ▪Currently running 2 boys and 1 girls basketball team

                ▪Large number of students in grade 6 and 7 taking part in archery club

                ▪Farm Safety presentation for all grades next week

▪Skating rink is open and some classes are using it for gym. Students are allowed to skate at noon recess if they have necessary safety gear

▪Winter Olympics start this month- Condor is having a celebration to go alongside. Mrs.O’Brien is organizing the day. February 21, 2018 will have fun “Olympic events” like bob sled pulling and curling

▪Maintenance department has hired Brenda White to be the caretake for Condor on a 2 year contract

Teacher’s report:

▪Thank you for attending the Christmas concert, and for all the goodies over the holidays

▪Alien In-line was enjoyed by students. No make-up day available for inclement weather on the last day, unfortunately

▪Literacy program is in full swing and going well. Students are engaged and enjoying daily reading

▪Grade 7 leadership is doing another Hot Dog Day and Nerd Spirit Day on January 25, 2018.

                ▪Assembly and hot lunch (Pizza by PAC) is January 30, 2018

▪February is a busy and short month. No school Feb 2, 19, 22, 23. Weather permitting Olympic fun day will be Feb 21 with details to follow

                ▪Hot Dog day and PJ spirit day on Wednesday February 23, 2018

 

 

 

Trustee’s report:

▪2018-2019 calendar is in draft form on the website- any comments or concerns please get them in – next meeting is January 23, 2018

▪Received a letter from Curtis Clarke- proposal is being reviewed, he appreciates the work that has been done, encourages collaboration with municipality and government.

                ▪Annual stakeholder satisfaction survey is coming up- may receive a phone call

▪Governance and priority meeting January 16/17- looking at contract between government and teachers

                ▪Feb 8-10- Public School Board Council meeting

                ▪Bill 28 given Royal Assent on December 15, 2017

▪School tours starting next month- checks to see if annual education plans are being met, also see what needs are in classrooms etc.

Old Business:

                ▪Meet and mingle at school- very low turnout, should the idea be scrapped?

                                Don’t scrap it, invite Brad Volkman? Give him a list of questions

                                Try again in spring- hope to get new kindergarten parents

▪From Gary: was the Parent Council Umbrella meeting format good? Yes, interaction was good

New Business:

                ▪Chairperson-  Election. Sandra stepping in for now to fill spot. Need to find parents to help.

                ▪Motion to nominate Sandra Frid for Chairperson by Chad Judd, 2nd by Alana Hoeksma. Voted in

                ▪Motion to nominate Stacie Lee as Vice Chairperson by Liz Lozo, 2nd by Sara Hay

▪Motion to remove Sara St.Marie from Chairperson, put Sandra in place, put Stacie in vice-chair and add Stacie Lee to signing authority by Sara Hay, 2nd Liz Lozo

▪Community response to school reconfiguration: Some planning has started. Any questions for Cheryl that she can pass on?

Has there been any student input (options, labs etc)?

Are there plans to expand Condor property? Loss of outdoor space with new mods coming in is a concern.

 Is there a public discussion board? Yes- on WRSD website/facebook

▪School digital phone policy: feedback? Looks good. There used to be a personal device approval form for parents to sign- this will not happen again.

▪Parent suggestion for spring presenters- magician is running favorite.

▪Overview of new goals are always at the school and copies are available at all times

 

Adjourned at 7:21pm

JANUARY 2018 PARENT ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Parent Advisory Council Meeting

January 16, 2018

 

Call to Order: 7:23

Attendance: Cheryl Kalev, Sara Hay, Sandra Frid, Tessa Rancier, Ashley McKenzie, Chad Judd, Alanna Hoeksma, Tara LaBas, Liz Lozo

Approval of Minutes: Motion to change end time of last meeting by Sara Hay, 2nd by Stacie Lee (time revised by Tessa Rancier to 7:18 as per notes)

Treasurer’s report:

                ▪ Accounts: General- $8123.31; Bingo- $5057.03; Casino- $137.91

▪ Motion to pay $2137.68 for casino advisor & food from general account until casino money comes through by Sara Hay, 2nd by Stacie Lee

▪ Bussing is paid

▪ $116 moved from General account to Bingo account- meals were paid in error from the general account

Fundraising report:

                ▪ 10 volunteers for bingo next week

▪ Asked to have bingo for just grade 5 so money can go toward Camp Goldeye rather than Evergreen. If this doesn’t go toward camp it will be used for something else. Cheryl is looking in to the cost for Camp Goldeye

Hot lunch:

                                ▪ Pizza this month, Taco in a bag for February

                                ▪ Booster Juice went really well, Mrs. Rae’s class delivered

Old Business:

▪ Cheryl asked for 50/50 cost split for Alien In-Line. Motion for Parent Council to cover the entire cost of $1764 by Sandra Frid, 2nd by Stacie Lee

                                ▪ Cost sharing for performer in spring- PAC believes near the end of the year is better                                      for this event. Cost sharing decision tabled to next meeting

▪ Motion to spend $200 for free hot dog day on February 21, 2018 by Stacie Lee, 2nd by Tessa Rancier

Next meeting March 13, 2018

Adjourned at 7:47

OCTOBER, 2017 MINUTES

Condor School Council Meeting

October 17, 2017

 

Meeting started at 6:34

Welcome all new and returning parents

In Attendance: Cheryl Kalev, Gary Thompson, Shannon Valentine, Sara St.Marie, Sandra Frid, Chad Judd, Melissa Pittendreigh, Dana Dickson, Stacie Lee, Danielle Peterson, Alana Hoeksma, Liz Lozo

Principal’s report:

                Shared development between all teachers for all classes

                Remembrance Day here, not at DT. Eliminates bussing time, and more appropriate

                PT interviews- book your own November 7/8

                Cash online is going well

                Targeted illiteracy instruction

                Lack of EA’s= need to support teachers more

                PAT results were good, Cheryl has them if you’d like to see

Teacher’s report:

                Turkey trot went well

                Grade 4 field trip to landfill

                Grade 7 leadership working on spirit days and hot dog days

                Halloween party to start at 1:50 October 31, 2017

Trustee’s report:

                No recent board meeting because of election- Gary won!

                Umbrella meeting November 7, 2017 (provincial parent council organizing)

                WRSD fee schedule was approved

Old Business-

                Meet and mingle at school- December 5, 2017 at 8:30am, snacks provided

Approve meetings: motion to approve- Liz Lozo; second by Sandra Frid

Adjourned at 7:00pm

 

 

 

Parent Advisory Council Meeting

October 17, 2017

 

Meeting started at 7:00pm

In Attendance: Cheryl Kalev, Shannon Valentine, Sara St.Marie, Sandra Frid, Chad Judd, Melissa Pittendreigh, Dana Dickson, Stacie Lee, Danielle Peterson, Alana Hoeksma, Liz Lozo

Last meeting minutes approved by Dana Dickson; 2nd by Alana Hoeksma

Treasurer’s report:

                Accounts: General- $8348.23; Bingo- $3650.50; Casino- $137.91

                2017 Family dance net- $1839.50

Fundraising report:

                Bingo- less take home revenue

                Casino- less shifts required

Hot lunch:  no news

No Family dance next year

Motion to approve to keep glowsticks from dance ($105) by Melissa Pittendreigh; 2nd by Danielle Peterson

Next meeting January 16, 2018

Adjourned at 7:00pm

 

 

 

AGM

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

AGM September

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5